Thursday, May 19, 2011

Eggs & Cake

I've got just the right amount of icing on this cake for my liking. It isn't so pretty but it is just so yummy.
The cake is a sponge cake and the butter icing is made with lemon zest and juice.
Strawberries on the side are a perfect compliment. :-) 
OK, the sponge cake with 4 egg whites. 
I have made this old family recipe quite a few times and this is the highest I have ever gotten this cake to rise.
Now, I know why.....
I've just found out that I beat the eggs for far too long.
I recently found a description of egg white preparation in a cookbook called
flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery and Cafe by Joanne Chang.
(Very fun reading, so far, haven't baked from it yet) 
In the front chapter or so, it describes some basic baking techniques and this is where Ms. Chang gets into the nitty-gritty of egg whites.
Simply put, if they are beat too much, ahem, they lose the ability to expand any further while baking.
I had never paid much attention to the preparation of egg whites before. 
Now I will. :-) 
These are individual baking dishes with meatloaf for our supper.
I've been given four of them.
Polka Dots!!!!
Yeah!

No comments: