Sunday, September 19, 2010

Red Riding Hood and her Wolfie

Here she is! Red and her pal Wolfie are all set to venture off through the woods to Grannies. Red started out as a pattern from Handmade Awards . I had a little trouble with the pattern as written. I hate when that happens. I think it was supposed to be made on double-pointed needles in the round but it never said so. I started making the body on two dpn, flat and when the instructions started getting confusing on the limbs I just made up my own pattern to make it come out the way I wanted. The dress is almost all my own pattern except for the zigzaging decorations. I made at least three dress fronts before I got it working out to my liking. I made the dress quite a bit longer and under the apron it gathers gently at the yoke.
Here is Red's pal Wolfie. In the pattern he is supposed to be a puppet, very cute idea, but I wanted a full-bodied wolf so I ad-libbed. Just added on at the back and changed the legs and tail to suit me. Devilish white teeth out of worsted weight. All the rest of the project is of fingering weight, Palette Yarn, from KnitPicks.
For Red's shoes, I used a pattern for a totally different doll, Tilly Twirl, by Amanda Jones, found in a Simply Knitting magazine's booklet from the Spring issue. I made up the shoes using a smaller set of needles and they fit Red. Yeah!
Finally, the food loaded up in the basket for Grannie. I used Handmade Award's pattern for the apple and roughly the basket but figured out my own patterns for the cheese wheel and bread. :-)

1 comment:

Michele McLaughlin said...

WOW! This is absolutely fabulous! I can't believe the detail in the work. Of course, all i ever knit are dishcloths. You did a fabulous job!