Monday, May 31, 2010

Blue Ribbon Pie

I got some rhubarb at our local farmer's market, Saturday and wanted to make a pie. I had made a rhubarb/strawberry pie earlier this month and wasn't quite happy with it. Perfectly good pie but I didn't like the strawberry in it as much as I thought I would.
So, I looked for recipes online and found a wonderful, super-dooper recipe. It is located here. It has a special secret, the sugar/flour part of the recipe is placed, half on the bottom crust and half on top of the rhubarb right before the crust goes on. This makes the bottom crust kind of sugary crisp. The juice from the rhubarb gets to the bottom a bit later in the cooking process so it doesn't get soggy.

The crust I use is oil-based and very easy to make and roll out. The recipe comes from my mom. :-)

Two-crust pie crust
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup salad oil
1/4 cup milk
Mix gently with a fork and roll out one half at a time between two sheets of wax paper. Peel one side of wax paper at a time, flipping gently to the second side before placing on the pie pan. 

1 comment:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Great Pie tip, it looks delish! :) Happy Holiday!