Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Swirly Blue Buckets and Hand Pumps

This scene reminds me of Country Living magazine (American version) about 15-20 years ago. All the houses stuffed with antiques from pioneer times. I started getting this magazine in the 80's and I still do today--among many other magazines. :-) I still like the magazine now but I'm tired of all the white stuff in every room--white walls, white furniture, even the plates turned backwards on the wall so only the white shows--just like I got tired of the dark pioneer/colonial look and the overstuffed rooms.
The swirly blue and white bucket here is just beautiful tho--the intensity of the blue is like cobalt paint in a tray.
I guess not many of us would go back to pumping water with this hand pump but I was thinking about the high costs of nearly everything now and how the Amish have managed to stay off the power grid, grow/can/butcher much of their food still and how smart their lives seem. They have time for family, time for their children, and yes, there is the hard work, but often done together. Not ideal maybe but somehow smart in lots of ways........

1 comment:

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

Yes, the Amish are very smart, because if you think about it, they are unaffected by just about any and every economic trend there ever has been.....the only time they can get hit really hard is when someone in their community has a catastrophic hospital bill, and then they all band together and pay it!